Clinical care services
- Source and supply chemotherapy drugs.
- Advocate, source and supply subsidised blood and blood products.li>
- Source and provide subsidised specialised Diagnostic Services.
- Source and provide subsidised specialised Laboratory Services.
Common paediatric cancers
- Wilm’s tumor – 22%
- Leukemia – 14%
- Retinoblastoma – 8%
- Rhabdomyosarcoma – 6%
- Neurological Tumours
- Blood Disorders (Anaemias, Haemophilia)
- Children often presenting with late stage diagnosis resulting in just initiation of palliative care.
- Caregivers citing financial constraints and social responsibilities to other family members preventing them from travelling to Harare.
- Lack of social support systems in Harare so caregivers reluctant to come.
- Monthly doctor rotations means that they do not become well-versed with Kidzcan procedures resulting in missed diagnosis, prolonged and expensive treatment