The need for case management:
Most of our unsuccessful cases are attributed to poor case management with late detection being the main culprit. Patients sometimes take a long time before getting to a Central Hospital due to a long referral pathway and financial distress on the part of caregivers who at times have to sell livestock to meet bus fares from one health institution to the other. Palliative care counselling is being given on an adhoc basis.There are many cases of information gaps in due to poor communication between hospitals and between doctors. Therefore we found the need to develop a case management strategy.
Effects of case management
- Improved Quality of service outcomes due to coordination through a multidisciplinary approach involving Clinicians and Kidzcan in planning for care through case conferences and handover meetings.
- Increased level of decision making by caregivers after breaking of bad news in a team effort between doctors and Kidzcan.
- Maximizing the use of available resources by involving Kidzcan during the trajectory of illness up to, discharge planning.
- Ensuring treatment adherence through follow ups.
- A reduced competence gap through communication with the clinical team and various providers improved through Promoting safe and cost-effective care.